Friday, July 22, 2011

Lil Mama Cries in Interview with The Breakfast Club!!


Rapper Lil Mama, 21 who is best known for her 2008 smash hit “Lip Gloss” and now offers her expertise as a judge on MTV’s America’s Best Dance Crew sat down with The Breakfast Club and of course they wasted no time at wanting to address her antics and “foolish” comments. (smh)

So for those who are not familiar with The Breakfast Club, they are a popular radio station (Power 105.1) located in New York. Hosted by DJ Envy, Angela Yee and “Charlamagne Tha God” who is known for his disrespectful and rude comments.

And of course he was “on” and he couldn’t wait to dig into Lil Mama. The interview immediately went wrong and I cringed while watching as Charlamagne called her “The Voice of The Young Scruggle Face” along with other disrespectful insults. Even worse when she asked what he meant by that comment he responded by saying:
"Cause your young and you have an old face, like Drake says 'I'm really too young to be looking this old.' "
Yes, Lil Mama knew what she was getting herself into but she clearly wanted to discuss issues pertaining to her career. However they where bent on discussing how she suggested that Nicki Minaj copied her style and of course the infamous moment when she jumped on stage with Jay Z and Alicia Keys in 2009 at the VMA’s.

But the “Lip Gloss” star seemed to take the shots well as she rocked side-to-side, to help calm her nerves and uneasiness. Yet she dished the insults right back at him and also discussed her wanting to move to Paris with no plans of making a new album anytime soon. 

Lil Mama Speaks on the VMA event:
"Ever since I was a kid I was always a fan of Hip-Hop" said Mama. "If you get your limelight whether your sixteen or twenty-one or wherever you're at, you get your lime when you get your lime but if you're a part of Hip-Hop and a child of Hip-Hop then you will always be a part of Hip-Hop. In my day, in my era, Ralph McDaniels, just being five and being at his block party you could just got onstage. If you see an awards show you'll see people can go onstage. Or you'll see that energy and it'll be received. So maybe my love was misconcepted."
Lil Mama Speaks on Her Comments about Nicki Minaj
I mean it is what it is. My side is very neutral. The last time we seen any female emcees before Nicki there was me. 
Lil Mama Speaks on Not Having Support:
“I get very angry. Why is it that my community does not accept me and respect me for being a young Black woman coming out of East NY Brooklyn and Harlem and still being in television and whatever else that I can be apart of to be a positive influence to other young girls that come from my community?” she asked before responding to her own question. “The answer is that the people supported something-a part about me that I sort of let go: music, dance. That’s where hip hop lives,” she said.
After the verbal boxing match between these two simmered, things took a very unexpected turn as Lil Mama broke down in tears (19:00 min mark) as she spoke about her first debut album and how she lost her mother to cancer. Even Charlamagne’s motor mouth went on pause and stopped with the jokes.
Though I’m not a die heart Lil Mama fan but I do respect her as a person and her passion for whatever she believes in. Critics, bloggers and radio personalities need to understand that there is a thin line between “keeping it real” and being down right disrespectful. With that, I agree with her that the black community needs to focus more on uplifting each other rather than focusing on negativity. 
Watch Video Below: Lil Mama -vs- Charlamagne



2 comments:

She said that she is not focused on making an album .... wants to continue doing television and has plans to one day more to Paris ..

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More